Class 8 English Grammar Exercise - Unit 6: Short Stories - The Story- The First Voyage of Sinbad - The Sailor

Class 8 English Grammar Exercise - Unit 6: Short Stories - The Story- The First Voyage of Sinbad - The Sailor

Click 👉 Questions and Answers: Unit 6: Short Stories - The Story- The First Voyage of Sinbad - The Sailor

*********************************************************

 Use of English/Grammar Exercise 

Unit 6: " Short Stories"

The Lesson - The First Voyage of Sinbad - The Sailor

(National Book Foundation - New Book/New Syllabus Based on Single National Curriculum Pakistan 2024 and Onwards)


Vocabulary:

a) Find synonyms of the following words and write them in the space below.

Words

Synonyms

Sumptuous

magnificent, luxurious, rich, grand, expensive

Turmoil

confusion, trouble, violence, row

Stagger

totter, reel, sway, falter

Gigantic

huge, great, large, giant

Brook

stream, burn, rivulet, gill



b. Reread paragraphs 1, 2, and 3:

Circle the word that means the same as 'magnificent'

Ans: Sumptuous

Draw a box around the word that means the same as 'hurry away'. 

Ans: Hasten back.

c) Reread the last paragraph:

"So he gave me his blessing and a great wealth of merchandise and rare commodities". Using contextual clues, can you identify the meaning of the word 'commodities"? 

Ans: Commodities mean -- raw materials or primary agricultural products that can be bought and sold, such as copper or coffee.


Number these events in the order in which they happened.


Correct sequence

Events

2

Most sailors swim back to the boat after their lunch fire disturbs a giant sleeping sea monster.

5

Sinbad is rescued by a small group of warriors who give him food and drink

6

Sinbad is reunited with his goods, which he sells for great profit before returning to Bagdad.

1

The captain grants leave to sailors wanting to set foot on the large flat island.

3

Sinbad loses hope as he watches his ship unfurl its sails and hurry away.

 

4

A giant wave thrashes Sinbad against a steep island cliff.


 

Select the correct option.

a) One day later and they would have left this desolate place. From contextual clues, you can tell that desolate means _______________.
  • deserted
  • uninhabited
  • bleak
  • all of these
b) What surprising things happened to Sinbad during his adventure?
  • The island turns out to be a giant sleeping sea monster.
  • Sinbad loses all his wealth and goes home a pauper.
  • Sinbad's ship returns to Bagdad, but people there do not recognize him.
  • Rather than attack, a band of warriors treats Sinbad as a guest.

c) Who is the speaker or narrator in the passage?
  • The author
  • The ship's captain
  • Sinbad
  • None of these

d) What does the author say at the end of the passage?
  • Sinbad is joyful to be reunited with his family and friends.
  • Sinbad has become very wealthy.
  • Once again, Sinbad has squandered all his wealth.
  • Sinbad is about to have another adventure.



Use of Language:

The Following Table Illustrates The Proper Use of Verb tenses

A. Complete the column by writing the correct form of the present tense. 

Simple Present

Present Continuous

 

Present Perfect

Present Perfect

Continuous

 

They capture the sea monster.

They are capturing the sea monster.

They have captured the sea monster.

They have been capturing the sea monster.

I buy merchandise for exchange in far lands.

I am buying merchandise for exchange in far lands.

I have bought merchandise for exchange in far lands.

I have been buying merchandise for exchange in far lands.

He spread his sails and pursue his way.

He is spreading his sails and pursuing his way.

He has been spreading his sails and pursuing his way.

He has been spreading sails and pursuing his way.

I see the marks made by the nibbling teeth of fish.

 

I am seeing the marks made by the nibbling teeth of fish.

 

I have seen the marks made by the nibbling teeth of fish.

I have been seeing the marks made by the nibbling teeth of fish.

I roam the island and wonder at its beauty.

 

I am roaming the island and wonder at its beauty.

 

I have roamed the island and wonder at its beauty.

I have been roaming the island and wonder at its beauty.



B.  
Complete the column by writing the correct form Past tense.

Simple Past

Past Continuous

 

Past Perfect

Past Perfect

Continuous

They captured the sea monster.

They were capturing the sea monster yesterday when I came.

They had captured the sea monster yesterday.

They had been capturing the sea monster for long.

I flung myself high on the beach.

I was flinging myself high on the beach.

I had flung myself high on the beach.

I had been flinging myself high on the beach.

I staggered myself till I came to a brook.

I was staggering myself till I came to a brook.

I had staggered myself till I came to a brook.

I had been staggering myself till I came to a brook.

He took me in the cave and set food before me.

He was taking me in the cave and set food before me.

He had taken me in the cave and set food before me.

He had been taking me in the cave and setting food before me.

I ate until I was satisfied.

I was eating until I was satisfied.

I had eaten until I was satisfied.

I had been eating until I was satisfied.


Write sentences, using the future tense. Add any words you need. The first one is done for you.

Simple Future

 

A magnificent sea horse rise from the waves.

A magnificent sea-horse will rise from the waves.

Future Continuous

 

I ride with them to the King's palace.

I will be riding with them to the King's palace.

Future Perfect

 

He puts leash on the sea-horse with great dexterity.

He will have put leash on the sea-horse with great dexterity.

Future Perfect

 

My companion drew me into the cave and placed himself at the opening with a long coil of thick cord in his hand.

My companion will have drawn me into the cave and placed himself at the opening with a long coil of thick cord in his hand.

Future Perfect Continuous

They heard my story.

They will have been hearing my story.




Writing:

Descriptive Writing.

Descriptive writing is an important genre. We use it in stories and novels, in textbooks, and sometimes in newspaper articles. The steps below will help you develop an adventurous story about an imaginary or a real place.

The city of Baghdad:
Baghdad, the capital of Iraq, is a city rich in history and tradition, located at the banks of the Tigris River in the heart of Mesopotamia. This city is known for its historical landmarks and beautiful architecture, such as the Al-Mustansiriya school, a historical university based in the thirteenth century, and the Al-Kadhimiya Mosque, a remarkable shrine that dates back to the eighth century. The metropolis's streets are covered with bustling markets and bazaars, promoting the whole thing from traditional handicrafts to unusual spices and meals. The metropolis's cuisine is a fusion of various flavors. and impacts, with its signature dish, the Iraqi biryani, being a popular choice amongst Iocals and visitors alike. Baghdad is also recognized for its rich literary and creative traditions, with many famous poets, writers, and musicians hailing from the metropolis. despite its turbulent records, Baghdad has managed to keep its cultural identification, and its resilience is a testimony to the enduring spirit of its humans. average, Baghdad is a town that gives a completely unique combination of historic and modern-day cultures, making it a fascinating destination for vacationers and historians alike.


************************************


************************************


Source: English Book (National Book Foundation, Pakistan)

************************************

Shortcut Links For:

1.  5th Class All Subjects Notes

2.  8th Class All Subjects Notes

3.  Easy English Grammar Notes


1. Website for School and College Level Physics   
2. Website for School and College Level Mathematics  
3. Website for Single National Curriculum Pakistan - All Subjects Notes 

© 2023 & onwards Academic Skills and Knowledge (ASK  

Note:  Write me in the comments box below for any query and also Share this information with your class-fellows and friends.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

cwebp -q 80 image.png -o image.webp